- SPECIAL SECTION -
MEETING NOVEMBER 25, 2021
TO BAN THE DOG MEAT CONSUMPTION
November 25, 2021
South Korea will consider ban on eating dog meat
South Korea is to consider banning the consumption of dog meat, a traditional practice opposed by the country’s growing number of pet owners.
Kim Boo-kyum, the prime minister, announced the formation of a commission to consider the question in a move prompted by President Moon, himself a well-known dog lover.
TRANSLATION OF THE MEETING NOVEMBER 25, 2021
Create a social discussion organization on the official end of dog eating and discuss intensively (jointly with related ministries)
2021.11.25 12:00:00 Animal Welfare Policy Division, Agriculture and Life Policy Center
□ Government 11 Mon 25 by Prime Minister one " national coordination meeting agenda check ' to hold , " one social discussion on promoting formal end of the cooking directions ( not ) " were discussed .
◦ ministries jointly for the industry associated with more drinking water to the survey of a carefully Propulsion Meanwhile , social organizations discussed creating more food problems for the next 4 to August Intensive discussions are planned to be ,
◦ A pan-government consultative body composed of the head of the Office of Government Policy Coordination and Vice Ministers of relevant ministries decided to come up with a plan to materialize the results of discussions by the social discussion body .
□ social debate Organization ( tentative name : Committee for a dog food issues discussed ) is related organizations , experts , NGO, and government personnel 20 consists of people around and , if necessary, the production division and the distribution division and proceed with the discussion divided into .
◦ 12 Mon the official launch of the , year 4 Mon until about two edible end communicating with the public , methods and procedures , etc. will be discussed intensively with the .
□ will support the social debate Organization government council is the prime Coordination presided and agri-food section , sikyak destination , Ministry of Environment , munchebu , line safety , such as the substrate section 6 participated ministries loans and , survey implementation and social discussions organizations discussed of the results provide a specific implementation scheme will be .
◦ to support them in the agri-food portion and the destination sikyak T / F operates this is .
□ The fact-finding survey to collect basic data related to dog food will be conducted after discussion at the social discussion body .
◦ breeding farm ( agricultural product unit , the Ministry of Environment ), a slaughterhouse ( agri-food portion , sikyak destination ), merchants , restaurants ( sikyak processed ) is irradiated to the sector, such as .
- Dog breeding , slaughtering , distribution , sales, meantime institutional blind spot customary in due came to consist , such as providing ways to improve system more food in order to promote policies to end this situation grasp vital it is .
◦ In addition to the fact-finding survey, a public perception survey on dog food will be conducted .
□ Government officials " people are drinking more , the negative , yet , it prohibited by law, even as a negative from looking into As you can see , dogs drinking problem fundamental rights recognized in the public and animal welfare issues I think LA issues such as intricately do ” he said ,
◦ " social discussion full communication and discussion in the Organization by the next move of wisdom directions discussed freely and expect to give ," he said .
Government top officials got together for the plan of future end of dog meat consumption. Prime minister Nam Ki Hong chaired the meeting. Those attended are from the various ministries Environment, Disease Control, Culture & Sports, National Safety, Economy and Finance, total 20 representative will form an official organization for the future plan. The news was released in the afternoon by the ministry of agriculture.
VIDEO BY KOREA NOW
Will dog meat finally disappear in S. Korea? Eating dog meat has long been a controversial and sensitive issue at home. On Thursday, the government held a formal discussion and decided to form a civilian-led consultative body to come up with a social consensus on whether to ban dog meat consumption.
November 25, 2021
South Korea to launch task force on banning dog meat
South Korea on Thursday said it will launch a task force to consider outlawing dog meat consumption after the country’s president offered to look into ending the centuries-old practice.